“Candy cabbie” Mansoor Khalid gives passengers as much candy as they want.
Now that’s one sweet ride.
Taxi driver Mansoor Khalid is on a one-man mission to cheer up New Yorkers with a daily dose of candy.
“The New York life is not the easy life,” Khalid, 36, told the Daily News. “People are depressed. I see a lot of people stressed sitting back there.”
Khalid is no stranger to stress. He dubbed his taxi the NYC Candy Cab after his 2-year-old son died in April from a long battle with heart disease.
“I learned a lot of things,” he said of the trauma of losing his child, who underwent two heart transplants and lost a kidney before he passed away. “Life is too short.”
Khalid, who moved to New York from Pakistan in 1993 and has been driving a cab since 1997, had already seen the impact of small acts of generosity. During the two years he spent in the hospital with his son, he routinely brought coffee and desserts to the doctors and nurses when he got off his shift at 1 a.m.
“They got so happy when in the middle of the night I gave every person coffee,” he said. “I was so nice to them and they were so nice to me.”
After his son died, Khalid decided to bring his routine to the people he interacted with every day in his cab.
Khalid said he was inspired to do something sweet after the death of his 2-year-old son.
“I was very depressed, losing my little boy,” he said. “Somehow, God gave me this idea. Now (I’m) chit-chatting and time is flying by!”
Though he doesn’t eat much candy himself — “Skittles, only” — Khalid offers a wide variety of sweets, and has started cataloguing his collection on Instagram. Fans can also follow him on Twitter (@CandyCabNYC), and he may even start a blog for his growing following.
One such fan was thrilled to discover the cab on a late night out last weekend, and quickly spread the word about him through social media.
“We all started freaking out,” said David Weiner, 27. “You don’t see piles of candy like that in adulthood. It’s just one of those things that reminds you you’re in New York and anything can happen.”
And Khalid’s unusual project has the full support of the city.
“We encourage drivers to go the extra mile in the name of customer service, and Mr. Khalid certainly does this,” said Taxi and Limousine Commission boss David Yassky. “We appreciate the loyalty he inspires in his passengers.”
Loyalty isn’t the goal, considering that Khalid responds to every hail, candy or no candy. His mission is to spread warmth.
“It’s a little thing,” he said, “but people get happy.”
God bless you<3
- thebellarose reblogged this from potentialflatmate
- 4lbusdumblewh0re likes this
- letshearitfortheuniverse reblogged this from theblueraindrop
- letshearitfortheuniverse likes this
- a-barefoot-princess reblogged this from potentialflatmate
- reveriesofawriter likes this
- theblueraindrop reblogged this from potentialflatmate
- flyhighbirdie reblogged this from potentialflatmate
- potentialflatmate reblogged this from whovians-suffer-most
- serendip-itously reblogged this from bella-melodia
- storiesofnyc reblogged this from starlightbydaylight
- thedailyreddington likes this
- ashenowl reblogged this from mselphiethropp
- belliebean17 likes this
- elphabaletitgo reblogged this from mselphiethropp
- elphabaletitgo likes this
- wheresuchroadsalwayslead likes this
- flamingvaldezll likes this
- falling-starts-at-night reblogged this from glinda-has-the-tardis
- glinda-has-the-tardis reblogged this from mselphiethropp
- glinda-has-the-tardis likes this
- mselphiethropp reblogged this from starlightbydaylight
- beautifulfaults likes this
- lets-takeajoyride likes this
- powpunk reblogged this from shavingryansprivates
- confused-eclecticist reblogged this from didyoueatallthisacid
- sandyrodriguezzz likes this
- sandyrodriguezzz reblogged this from thedivingpool
- thedivingpool reblogged this from thedivingpool
- netfleex reblogged this from forever
- nhisaysrawr reblogged this from ruriair
- thebegoodorbegone likes this
- pix0 likes this
- prinzessin-balls likes this
- jesssicow reblogged this from bumblbear
- thatonesnorlax reblogged this from bunjie666
- jawnofbagend likes this
- lifeofatalkinglizard reblogged this from bunjie666
- dante-alafonz-hawkins reblogged this from bunjie666
- bunjie666 likes this
- bunjie666 reblogged this from pizza
- hometothepalace reblogged this from tamtims
- patronx3saint likes this
- patronx3saint reblogged this from eh4arhope
- eh4arhope reblogged this from somemaylikeit
- eh4arhope likes this
- somemaylikeit reblogged this from sammieleelee
- sammieleelee reblogged this from cojosweeps
- focusalexandria reblogged this from pizza
- illusionaryfood reblogged this from thalassastears