Dear Ann Coulter of the Day: After Ann Coulter referred to President Obama as a retard in a tweet during Monday night’s presidential debate, Special Olympics athlete and global messenger John Franklin Stephens penned her this open letter:Dear Ann Coulter,
Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?
I’m a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public’s perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night.
I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have.
Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next.
Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift.
Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more.
After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.
I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.
Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.
No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.
Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.
A friend you haven’t made yet, John Franklin Stephens Global Messenger Special Olympics Virginia
Hey, Anne Coulter, here is some commercially available burn cream.
- g-r-3-3-n-t-3-a likes this
- theorchestratorisin reblogged this from nona--eve
- lovelylulubae reblogged this from happy-go-lucy
- pang-lailai likes this
- nona--eve reblogged this from happy-go-lucy
- nona--eve likes this
- happy-go-lucy reblogged this from mayajumbalaya
- secure-in-my-insecurities reblogged this from lovegawrsh
- halfablyevilmarco reblogged this from nawsome
- antidepressantsandvodka reblogged this from radfematheist
- whereischarlie likes this
- the-misconceptions-blog likes this
- mysoulfulmelody likes this
- alcheredis likes this
- junkieturbo likes this
- fit-andfocus-ed reblogged this from allaroundhealth
- introverted-triad reblogged this from martyrofmusic
- martyrofmusic reblogged this from eddie-brentano
- martyrofmusic likes this
- eddie-brentano reblogged this from theflyingredpig
- mksl likes this
- alove-hatething likes this
- rosiepo-sie likes this
- we-are-the-proles reblogged this from bananasaurus-rex
- allaroundhealth likes this
- bananasaurus-rex reblogged this from manhatingfeminist
- nintendard999 likes this
- perphella reblogged this from theflyingredpig
- perphella likes this
- youremyyykryptonitee likes this
- pillowoffunk likes this
- amillionlittlefeces likes this
- iloveromances reblogged this from nawsome
- hylianhero000 likes this
- astrobath reblogged this from l0ve-me-lights-out
- fourbi-mon-ami likes this
- persnicketus likes this
- thiswarpedreality reblogged this from thedevilmaycare-butidont
- thedevilmaycare-butidont reblogged this from brittanaluv
- tonys-paper-castle reblogged this from l0ve-me-lights-out
- charl4n reblogged this from nawsome
- charl4n likes this
- l0ve-me-lights-out reblogged this from nawsome
- nawsome reblogged this from maycontainfeminists
- inwhispersyoudidnothear reblogged this from maycontainfeminists
- bitchesbehatinnn reblogged this from lovegawrsh
- lovegawrsh reblogged this from starbonescoffee
- anamewillcometome reblogged this from maycontainfeminists