Dear Ann Coulter of the Day: After Ann Coulter referred to President Obama as a retard in a tweet during Monday night’s presidential debate, Special Olympics athlete and global messenger John Franklin Stephens penned her this open letter:Dear Ann Coulter,
Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?
I’m a 30 year old man with Down syndrome who has struggled with the public’s perception that an intellectual disability means that I am dumb and shallow. I am not either of those things, but I do process information more slowly than the rest of you. In fact it has taken me all day to figure out how to respond to your use of the R-word last night.
I thought first of asking whether you meant to describe the President as someone who was bullied as a child by people like you, but rose above it to find a way to succeed in life as many of my fellow Special Olympians have.
Then I wondered if you meant to describe him as someone who has to struggle to be thoughtful about everything he says, as everyone else races from one snarkey sound bite to the next.
Finally, I wondered if you meant to degrade him as someone who is likely to receive bad health care, live in low grade housing with very little income and still manages to see life as a wonderful gift.
Because, Ms. Coulter, that is who we are – and much, much more.
After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the President by linking him to people like me. You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV.
I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash.
Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honor.
No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.
Come join us someday at Special Olympics. See if you can walk away with your heart unchanged.
A friend you haven’t made yet, John Franklin Stephens Global Messenger Special Olympics Virginia
Hey, Anne Coulter, here is some commercially available burn cream.
- sideeyecell likes this
- pockethandkin reblogged this from maddynbutty
- moansharry likes this
- linegraph likes this
- maybeitsafallfromgrace reblogged this from therikeone
- alltheshine13 likes this
- pursuingthesouth reblogged this from niggafromtheboro
- niggafromtheboro reblogged this from shaalalm
- halieutic likes this
- forever-in-my-mind-palace likes this
- msjamespsullivan likes this
- wildisthelion reblogged this from lozephyr
- plaything-reality-n reblogged this from edgeofdecember and added:
- plaything-reality-n likes this
- edgeofdecember reblogged this from avidly
- mrgrimmm1 reblogged this from kumimonster
- mrgrimmm1 likes this
- fumblingemotions reblogged this from fruzzie
- thelaydeeliberty reblogged this from thinkingtrack
- blaqjazz reblogged this from pushplaypassion
- tendaainyikaa likes this
- lolalovesyounicorns reblogged this from jhnmyr
- juljski reblogged this from jhnmyr and added:
- ninjaii likes this
- ninjaii reblogged this from gentledom
- choosingtobelosing likes this
- kid1418 reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- kid1418 likes this
- glassesneet likes this
- paperandpie likes this
- perque likes this
- seldomseenkid13 likes this
- sharing-interest likes this
- poetrygirl256 likes this
- poetrygirl256 reblogged this from jhnmyr and added:
- mistress-of-the-waterfall reblogged this from jhnmyr
- sophiecaneatalotofcake likes this
- automaticmachinetangerine likes this
- mylifeoverhaul likes this
- bloodyoceans likes this
- rhythmnblues20 reblogged this from jhnmyr
- synnymyn reblogged this from aj-at-woo
- synnymyn likes this
- aj-at-woo reblogged this from orionsnightsky
- wildfoxells likes this
- blacktreaclle likes this
- feministz reblogged this from glosoli
- whiteelephantintheroom likes this
- tmoneyrepublik likes this
- sophiegcaldwell reblogged this from jhnmyr